Freed Marcroft can answer all of your post-judgment questions. Even after judges have ruled, there may be post-judgment motions. Once the case has been finalized, anything after that point is referred to as post-judgment. These are generally modifications for child custody concerns, visitation rights, spousal or child support. If you have misgivings regarding Connecticut post-judgment motions, it is crucial to contact a specialized family law attorney for legal advice. After having gone through the lengthy process of divorce, it can be difficult to face the need for a post-judgment attorney. We understand completely. Freed Marcroft is available to support and protect clients for the long-term.

“The divorce is final.” It’s a statement many of our clients long to hear, and they breathe a sigh of relief when they do. But even when the final orders are entered, things may not be over. Lives change, and people make choices that can negatively affect others.

Here are some of the most common steps we take for clients after a judgment. You may never need any of these tools – but if you do, we’re here to help.

Motion to Modify

A Motion to Modify seeks to change elements of a divorce decree, such as the amount set for child support or alimony. You may need a modification if, for example, you lose a job, get a new job, or experience a significant life change. A Motion to Modify may also be used to adjust the terms of a parenting plan or custody agreement so that they more accurately reflect your child’s needs as they grow. However, this motion does not apply to property division.

Motion for Contempt

When your former spouse (or another party) refuses to follow orders entered by the court, a Motion for Contempt may be used to address the situation. A Motion for Contempt is a civil law matter, which makes it slightly different from “criminal” contempt of court. However, certain penalties may still apply.

Motion to Open

In some situations, evidence or facts might come to light only after the divorce has been finalized. When this happens, an appeal or a motion to modify might not be enough to make the change that is essential to your life or to the well-being of your children. In that case, a Motion to Open may be used to request the court to work through key questions raised by the new information.

Motion to Compel

A Motion to Compel is a request to the court to require someone else to take a certain action. After a divorce judgment, it is most often used to require a party to that judgment to follow the court’s orders, although a Motion to Compel may be used for other purposes.

Motion to Set Aside

When a party is not satisfied with the end result of a divorce, he or she may file a Motion to Set Aside. This motion asks the court to overturn, or set aside, a final ruling in a case.

If you need insight into how to handle your Connecticut divorce post-judgment, please get in touch with the Freed Marcroft team at (860) 560-8160 to schedule a private consultation about your strategic options.